Sunday 10 January 2016

VNK News: The year of Korean Unification- Some thoughts from a South Korean

"Originally, we were one nation. But now, as we’ve lived apart for so long, it is like we are two"

There have been many polls in South Korea concerning the when and how of unification. The polls found that South Koreans in their 20s are less receptive to the idea of unification than older people. I was the one of these 20 something year old Koreans who believed that reunifying could be better in the long run and thing to consider seriously. However, as I spent my Christmas holidays at the DMZ observation deck in Paju, it changed my mind and I felt immensely different. There was a sign on the Dora station that it's not the last station from the South, but the first station toward the North. While I was reading the sign it really made me think about the fact that Korea used to be one country. On the train heading back to Seoul from Paju area, I thought about the North Korea's human rights issues and its isolation from the modern world. I want North Koreans have rights to speak their minds freely, allowed to learn about the outside world, stay healthy and to be more open to outside influences.


"the number of families separated during the Korean War is heartbreaking"

Originally, we were one nation. But now, as we’ve lived apart for so long, it is like we are two. The number of families separated during the Korean War is heartbreaking. I don’t believe the North Korean regime will last forever, when it does fall, I wish for a peaceful outcome, not another war. I believe that the unification of Korea should be first and foremost a humanitarian cause, than just a political agenda. 

Reunification is something that the young people of today will be heavily involved in. The young generation needs to shape tomorrow and take the lead for the unification movement. There is a famous saying "If a person dreams a dream then it is a dream, but if everyone dreams the same dream, then it is a reality." Like the saying, I strongly believe the unification needs participation of youth.

Kim Doyeun- Chuncheon